Rapid Software Testing
Course material, a light lunch and refreshments are included in the course fee.
Why do we test software, or any other complex technology?
We test to develop a comprehensive understanding of the product.
We test to find problems that threaten the value of the product, or that threaten the on-time, successful completion of any kind of development work.
We test to help the business, managers, and developers decide whether the product they've got is the product they want.
Rapid Software Testing (RST) a context-driven methodology for testing any product that includes or involves software. RST is centred around developing people’s mindsets and skill sets to enable expert software testing that is very fast, inexpensive, credible, and accountable.
The Rapid Software Testing class is designed for anyone who tests or evaluates software—including testers, programmers, support people, documentation folk, even salespeople and marketers—or for anyone who manages testing work.
Through hands-on activities, exercises, and interactive discussion, we challenge assumptions and expose common misconceptions about testing practices. Then we show you a clear and powerful way to think about testing that allows you to test responsibly and systematically, so that you focus on business risk and do the deep testing that your project needs.
These topics are definitely addressed by the exercises, discussions, and slides that comprise the class. Other topics may also be addressed, depending on what questions come up during class discussions. The instructors do their best to make the class relevant to specific needs the students may have:
• What testing is, and how it must fit the project context.
• How mental models and critical thinking form the basis of all testing.
• How to deal with overwhelming complexity or confusion.
• How to recognize problems despite ambiguous or missing specifications.
• How to survey a product to prepare for deep testing.
• How to create tests: heuristics, risks, procedures, coverage, oracles.
• How tools help magnify and manage testing.
• How to know when you’ve tested enough.
• How to analyze test results and report evidence in a compelling way.
• The Heuristic Test Strategy Model and many other specific heuristics for testing.
How Is This Course Different?
The Rapid Software Testing course is an intensive three-day, hands-on class, in which you spend much of the time actually testing, working on exercises, solving puzzles, tackling thought experiments, and scenarios—some computer-based, some not. The goal of the course is to teach you how to test anything expertly, under extreme time pressure and conditions of uncertainty, in a way that will stand up to scrutiny.
This class is not about traditional approaches to testing, which ignore the thinking part of testing and instead focus on narrow definitions for testing terms while advocating never-ending paperwork. Products have become too complex for that, time is too short, and testers are too expensive. RST uses fast feedback and heuristic approaches to re-optimize testing constantly and to fit the needs of its clients.
What you will learn:
• Our primary goal is to help you learn how to test a product when you have to test it right now, under conditions of uncertainty, in a way that stands up to scrutiny. The class is focused on test design and test strategy, which is the heart of what you need to find important bugs before it’s too late. We’ll help you think and talk like a testing expert, so that you can gain the credibility you need to be allowed to do your job without interference.
• Experienced tester will learn to put words to the tacit skills you have gained over time and provide exercises that help you refine them. You will appreciate that RST is a practitioner-centered methodology: you are in control of it.
• For new testers, hands-on testing exercises will help you gain critical experience.
• Developers, managers, and others who work with testers will will gain an appreciation for the challenges of testing, discover how you can support the testing process, and learn what good testing can do for you.
Of course, we can’t achieve these goals simply by immersing you in a three-day class. What we can do in the time available is show you how to think about testing, show you what the necessary testing skills look like, and help you to continue building those skills when you go back to work.
More detailed information is available at https://rapid-software-testing.com/
Who should enroll:
Everyone who gets value from software testing. This class is not just for testers and test managers, but also for software developers, managers, DevOps people, documenters, support staff. The course suits those occupied with testing full-time or part-time, as well as anyone who works with testers.
Michael Bolton is a consulting software tester and testing teacher who helps people to solve testing problems that they didn’t realize they could solve. In 2006, he became co-author (with James Bach) of Rapid Software Testing (RST). Since then, he has flown over a million miles to teach RST in 35 countries on six continents.
Contact Michael at email@example.com, on Twitter @michaelbolton, or through his Web site, developsense.com.
Please bring a Windows or Mac laptop with you.